Chicken con Queso
- 1/4 cup Butter
- 1 Onion chopped
- 2 Cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup All-purpose flour
- 3 cups Milk heated
- 3 cups Monterey jack or cheddar shredded, divided
- 1/4 cup Fresh parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup Fresh cilantro chopped (or sub more parsley)
- 2 tbsp Tomato paste
- 2 tsp Chili powder
- 1 tsp Dried oregano
- 1 can Green chili peppers drained and chopped
- 4 Green onions chopped
- 2 cups Cooked rice
- 2 cups Diced cooked chicken
- 1/5 cups Coarsely crushed corn chips
- In a large sauté pan set over medium heat, melt butter. Add the onion and garlic and cook for a few minutes, until softened and fragrant. Add the flour and cook for about 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Whisk in hot milk and stir until sauce thickens, about 7-8 minutes.
- Stir in 2 cups of the cheese and the parsley, cilantro, tomato paste, chili powder, oregano and chili peppers. Spread 1/2 (one-half) cup sauce in a 8” square casserole dish. Top with the rice, and then the chicken. Cover with the remaining sauce and let cool (and refrigerate if you don’t want to bake it right away).
- Bake in a 400° F oven for 30 minutes, then reduce heat to 375°F. Sprinkle on the chips and remaining cheese, and bake for an additional 10-15 minutes.