The ‘reverse’ in this recipe refers to the sear and marinade, both done after grilling the steak, which is unconventional. Serve these flatbreads as a main course with a side salad or as appetizers by cutting each naan into 4 slices. Note that the recipe was tested on The Big Green Egg grill, but it can be adapted to most charcoal grills with similar features. Always consult your grill’s user manual for lighting, heating, and cooking instructions. For a gas grill, follow the alternate method below.
CHARCOAL-GRILLED STEAK IN REVERSE ON BRUSCHETTA NAAN
- Natural lump charcoal
- Fresh sturdy herb sprigs suchh as rosemary and sage
- ½ lb 250 g Beef Top Sirloin Cap Grilling Steak 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick
- Half small red onion thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic thinly sliced
- 3 tbsp 45 mL olive oil
- 1 tbsp 15 mL balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tomato finely chopped
- Half small red onion finely
- 1 clove garlic finely minced
- ¼ cup 60 mL fresh basil leaves,
- thinly sliced or torn
- 2 tsp 10 mL olive oil
- 1 tsp 5 mL balsamic vinegar
- Salt and pepper
- Prepare the Grill: Load the kamadostyle grill’s fire bowl with a 2-inch layer of natural lump charcoal. Light it using a paper towel in the coals or a charcoal-safe fire starter. Place a diffuser plate in the fire bowl and add a foil drip pan with water and herb sprigs (optional) on the plate. Set the grill grate over the diffuser plate. Close the lid and preheat to 250°F (121°C), adjusting vents for temperature control.
- Season and Cook the Steak: Pat the steak dry, pierce it with a fork, and season with salt. Place the steak on the preheated grill, insert a programmable thermometer, and cook for about 22 minutes until the thermometer reads 135°F (57°C).
- Prepare Reverse Marinade: In a shallow dish, combine onion, garlic, oil, vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste. Set aside
- Sear the Steak: Remove the partiallycooked steak and lower the grill grate closer to the charcoal for high-heat grilling. Brush the grate clean and heat to about 600°F (315°C) for 2 to 5 minutes.
- Return steak to grill, sear for 1-2 minutes per side, or until thermometer registers 145°F (63°C) for medium-rare. Remove the steak and place it in the Reverse Marinade for 10-12 minutes.
- Prepare Bruschetta: Combine tomato, onion, garlic, basil, oil, and vinegar in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Carve and Marinate: Slice the steak thinly across the grain and return it to the marinade. Set aside.
- Assemble: Grill naan until lightly toasted, spread with ricotta, top with Bruschetta, and arrange steak slices. Drizzle with balsamic glaze and cut each naan in half to serve
Using a drip pan with water under the steak adds moisture and flavor to the grilling process.
For even cooking, use a half-moon plate/ griddle diffuser or push charcoal to one side and place the drip pan on the other side for indirect cooking. Move the steak over direct heat for searing.
The Canadian Beef Information Gateway is your ultimate beef resource with 70+ cuts, 400+ recipes (each with a video). Access it easily at https://www.cdnbeef. ca/. Simply scan a beef package barcode at the store to get info and recipes for that cut instantly. A valuable tool for dinner ideas!
Maddie and Kiki
Maddie & Kiki®, Canada’s favourite female Grill Masters, were named in the Top 10 Grill Experts of North America and were recently featured in the prestigious, Forbes. BBQ industry professionals turn to Maddie & Kiki® for their knowledge, expertise, and input when developing new products for the BBQ market.