At the shop, we sell loads of shortbread, especially at Easter and Christmas. Here is a recipe for my melt-in-your-mouth whipped shortbread. They are very light and tender so be forewarned – they are quite fragile! We no longer sell this particular variety of shortbread at the store because we found that packaging them into bags caused too much breakage and crumbling.
Shortbread makes a beautiful (not to mention delicious) hostess gift. Be sure to package your cookies into sturdy vessels like biscuit tins or ceramic dishes to prevent any breakage.
- 1 lb Salted Butter at room temperature
- 2 Cups All purpose flour
- 1 cup Icing Sugar
- 1 Cup Cornstarch
- 1.5 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
- Cream butter in a stand mixer on medium speed (or use hand mixer) until light and fluffy.
- Add vanilla extract.
- Sift dry ingredients twice.
- Add dry ingredients slowly to the butter-vanilla mixture (in about three additions).
- Chill dough in fridge.
- Roll into 1” (one-inch) diameter balls on parchment-lined baking sheet and press to slightly flatten with the tines of fork.
- Bake for about 30 minutes in a 300º F oven.
Dana Shortt is a mother of two and the owner/operator of Dana Shortt Gourmet and Gifts. The shop is a boutique-style gourmet food store specializing in hand crafted prepared meals, an olive oil and balsamic vinegar tasting bar, gift baskets and quality chocolates from local suppliers. Dana received her formal culinary training at George Brown College. Along with her Culinary Management Diploma, she also holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Hotel and Food Administration from the University of Guelph.