Chocolate Pate With Crème Anglaise
Ingredients for Pate:
- 10 oz high-quality bittersweet chocolate chopped
- 1 cup 35% whipping cream
- 2 cups fresh berries raspberries, strawberries, blueberries or a combination
- Mint sprigs optional
Orange Crème Anglaise
- 4 egg yolks
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 cups whipping cream
- Zest of half an orange
Method for Pate:
- In heat-proof bowl set over hot water, stir chocolate with cream until melted.
- Place plastic wrap directly on surface; refrigerate for at least 8 hours or until firm (Pate can be refrigerated for up to 6 days.)
- Alternatively, you can pour the pate into a small loaf pan so that you can slice the pate once cooled and set. If you leave it in a bowl, you can make balls of pate using an ice cream scooper.
Method for Orange Crème Anglaise:
- In separate heatproof bowl, whisk egg yolks with sugar until light yellow. In saucepan, heat cream over low heat until bubbles form around edge of pan; whisk warm cream into yolk mixture.
- Set bowl over simmering water; cook, stirring with wooden spoon, for 5 to 10 minutes or until thick enough to coat back of spoon. Strain through fine sieve into bowl. Place wrap directly on surface; refrigerate until chilled or for up to 3 days.
Dana Shortt is a mother of two and the owner/operator of Dana Shortt Gourmet and Gifts. The shop is a boutique-style gourmet food store specializing in hand crafted prepared meals, an olive oil and balsamic vinegar tasting bar, gift baskets and quality chocolates from local suppliers. Dana received her formal culinary training at George Brown College. Along with her Culinary Management Diploma, she also holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Hotel and Food Administration from the University of Guelph.