Pretzels for Hosting
Every parent needs a good soft pretzel recipe. Kids love them, and they make a fun lazy day baking project. Pretzels are also great for game night, date night or a festive gathering with friends.
- 2 1 ⁄4 tsp Active dry yeast
- 1 cup Warm water 105-110 °F
- 3 tbps Dark brown sugar
- 2 tbps Whole milk room
- 1 ⁄4 cup Salted butter melted
- 1 tsp Fine sea salt
- 3 cups All-purpose flour
**BAKING SODA BATH**
- 16 cups Water
- 1 ⁄2 cup Baking soda
- 3 tbps Salted butter
- Coarse sea salt pretzel salt
- or kosher salt to taste
HOW TO MAKE THE PRETZEL
- Combine yeast, water, and brown sugar in the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the dough hook. Let mixture rest for 5-10 minutes (until foamy).
- Once the yeast is proofed, add the melted butter and milk to the yeast and stir to combine.
- Add flour and salt and stir until a ball is formed.
- The dough should form a slightly tacky, but firm ball.
- Lightly grease a large bowl, place the dough in the bowl, and cover a damp towel to rise for 30 -60 minutes until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F and grease baking sheets
- Divide dough into 8 equal pieces
- Roll each piece of dough into a 25-30” rope.
- Lay the rope into a “U” shape. Then cross the ends over each other once, then twist them once at the place where they meet
- Hold the portion of the pretzel dough that has been twisted and fold it down to the bottom of the “U” shape. Press the ends firmly but gently into the bottom of the pretzel.
- Repeat with remaining dough.
PREPARE THE BAKING SODA BATH:
- Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil.
- When the water is boiling, slowly add the baking soda.
- Boil pretzels one at a time in the soda bath for 30 seconds. Use a slotted spoon to remove it from the bath and place it on the prepared baking sheet.
- Bake pretzels at 400 degrees F for
- 12-15 minutes until dark brown.
- Remove from oven, immediately
- brush each pretzel with melted butter.
- Transfer to a wire rack to cool