Classic asparagus risotto made with Arborio rice, onions or shallot, stock, fresh asparagus, and Parmesan cheese.
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 1 Onion medium finely chopped
- 1 cup Finely chopped asparagus
- 8 cups Chicken stock
- 2 cups Arborio rice
- ½ cup White wine
- 1 tbsp Butter
- 2/3 cup Parmesan cheese
- In a large heavy saucepan over med/high heat melt butter, once butter is melted add onions
- Stir ingredients over med/high heat until soft (not browned).
- At the same time, simmer the chicken stock over medium heat.
- Reduce the heat under the onions to medium and add the Italian rice. Stir constantly for 3 minutes, then add the white wine. Again, keep stirring to prevent sticking, as the wine is absorbed by the rice.
- Then, start adding the chicken stock, 1 cup at a time. (Each cup must be absorbed before adding the next). Stir to keep from sticking.
- Once 6 cups of chicken stock have been added, add the remaining stock ½ cup at a time. At this point add Asparagus.
- Be sure to sample taste the rice – it should be tender but still a little firm to bite (that is, never mushy).
- Fold in 1 tbsp. butter, then parmesan cheese, and season with salt and pepper.
Risotto takes about 20 minutes once the first liquid is added.