Crunchy Chicken Casserole
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3 cups Sliced celery
- ¼ cup Flour
- ½ tsp Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 ¾ cups Milk
- 2 cups Cooked chicken cubed or shredded
- 1 ¼ cups Grated cheddar cheese
- I use smoked cheddar or extra old cheddar
Ingredients for Topping
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Butter
- ½ cup Grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Slivered not sliced, if possible,
- toasted almonds*
- Melt butter in a frying pan set over medium heat.
- Add celery and sauté, stirring occasionally,
- for about 5-6 minutes or until softened.
- Add flour and salt (pepper if desired).
- Cook for about 1 minute. Add in milk, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened
- (this will take a few minutes).
- Stir in cooked chicken and cheese and turn into a greased 6-cup casserole dish. Sprinkle with topping
- and bake at 400° F for 25 minutes or until
- golden brown and bubbly.
Method for Topping
- Combine flour and salt. Cut in butter. Add cheese and almonds. Set aside.
Dana Shortt is a mother of two and the owner/operator of Dana Shortt Gourmet and Gifts. The shop is a boutique-style gourmet food store specializing in hand crafted prepared meals, an olive oil and balsamic vinegar tasting bar, gift baskets and quality chocolates from local suppliers. Dana received her formal culinary training at George Brown College. Along with her Culinary Management Diploma, she also holds a Bachelor’s Degree in Hotel and Food Administration from the University of Guelph.