Crunchy Chicken Casserole
- 2 tbsp Butter
- 3 cups Sliced celery
- ¼ cup Flour
- ½ tsp Salt & pepper to taste
- 1 ¾ cups Milk
- 2 cups Cooked chicken cubed or shredded
- 1 ¼ cups Grated cheddar cheese
- I use smoked cheddar or extra old cheddar
Ingredients for Topping
- 1/3 cup Flour
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 3 tbsp Butter
- ½ cup Grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup Slivered not sliced, if possible,
- toasted almonds*
- Melt butter in a frying pan set over medium heat.
- Add celery and sauté, stirring occasionally,
- for about 5-6 minutes or until softened.
- Add flour and salt (pepper if desired).
- Cook for about 1 minute. Add in milk, stirring occasionally, until sauce has thickened
- (this will take a few minutes).
- Stir in cooked chicken and cheese and turn into a greased 6-cup casserole dish. Sprinkle with topping
- and bake at 400° F for 25 minutes or until
- golden brown and bubbly.
Method for Topping
- Combine flour and salt. Cut in butter. Add cheese and almonds. Set aside.